Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 1 - MSG & Hydrolyzed Protein Are One & the Same.

DAY 1 - MSG & Procrastination - are they linked?


This morning I posted the following on my facebook profile page after some friends said they'd like to join me in getting rid of unhealthy things in my diet: 


" 'Living free' blog coming soon. For now I will post daily tips on here. 
Eliminating MSG is 1st(& it's 45 hidden forms): reduce weight/ blood pressure, 
eliminate headaches & being flushied after eating/drinking & many other benefits. 
Your body will thank you! 

1. "Hydrolyzed protein". Go to your cupboards. 
Remove everything that has this in it. Post them. 
We will find healthy alternatives for all of them. 
Good luck."


I will now admit that I said "coming soon," but hadn't looked into how I would do this blog yet.
Presto.  My sister sent me the idea of blogspot and I created this blog. 


Step 1 toward Simple Free Living has become: 


DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. IF YOU WANT TO DO IT THEN WRITE DOWN THAT YOU ARE DOING IT. 


Today you are taking everything out of your cupboards that says "hydrolyzed protein" on the label(because it is MSG in disguise) and posting it here for us to find healthy alternatives for you. Good luck!


Source:    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/help/faqs_flavorings/index.asp


Are MSG and hydrolyzed protein related?
Yes. MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid. Glutamic acid is an amino acid, one of the building blocks of protein. It is found in virtually all food and, in abundance, in food that is high in protein, including meat, poultry, cheeses, and fish.

Hydrolyzed proteins, used by the food industry to enhance flavor, are simply proteins that have been chemically broken apart into amino acids. The chemical breakdown of proteins may result in the formation of free glutamate that joins with free sodium to form MSG. In this case, the presence of MSG does not need to be disclosed on labeling. Labeling is required when MSG is added as a direct ingredient. 


2 comments:

  1. Hello my beautiful simple free living friend Bonnie, As always I will be your follower...in this blog and in this life.
    I'm so proud of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's following and who's leading?
    That's the fun part - nobody knows :)

    ReplyDelete